I have come to the sudden realization that most of the people who inspired me are Christians. At least this is what happened to me; no offense to other religions. As of now, I consider myself a free-thinker.
So you might ask, Y U so random, think of this kind of stuff?
Well actually, I have been trying to.. look for (?) a religion (or belief) to which I can give myself in. Since last year, I often have this thought: if I ever lose the important things I have today, if the world around me become so messed up it almost took my faith away, on what will I depend to keep holding onto this world? I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but none of the inspirational quotes (I like them, if you notice) will help at times like this. I need to actually believe in something.. to gain a strong will that endures all things.. and I believe that's the power of religion.
During the summer break, I tried to do some research on Buddhism and Christianity (as those two are, by far, the closest to my preference) but what I found wouldn't suffice at all. By what I've come across, both seem good but neither of them manage to convince me completely. I think I have to join a religious group or something to really find out about that particular religion. On top of all, perhaps life / my fate will eventually guide me to my own right path, at the right time?
And so I'm still searching.. waiting... Hence the first line of this post.
Just wanted to note down, though.
So you might ask, Y U so random, think of this kind of stuff?
Well actually, I have been trying to.. look for (?) a religion (or belief) to which I can give myself in. Since last year, I often have this thought: if I ever lose the important things I have today, if the world around me become so messed up it almost took my faith away, on what will I depend to keep holding onto this world? I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but none of the inspirational quotes (I like them, if you notice) will help at times like this. I need to actually believe in something.. to gain a strong will that endures all things.. and I believe that's the power of religion.
During the summer break, I tried to do some research on Buddhism and Christianity (as those two are, by far, the closest to my preference) but what I found wouldn't suffice at all. By what I've come across, both seem good but neither of them manage to convince me completely. I think I have to join a religious group or something to really find out about that particular religion. On top of all, perhaps life / my fate will eventually guide me to my own right path, at the right time?
And so I'm still searching.. waiting... Hence the first line of this post.
Just wanted to note down, though.
Comments
Write down 10 things you know to be true, ie. people are generally good, a smile can change the world, candy makes people happy etc. and hold on to that :)
The differences that exist are due to man's actions. So here are we to use rationality to independently investigate the truth. God wouldn't want his own creations which is us to fight with one another, for we are one. I really commend you for spending time to research on such deep topics like this. :)
Like your friend mentioned, you don't need a religion. All we need is a faith in ourselves and a power that is higher and far beyond our reach, we call it God.
If possible, I hope you can share your thoughts with me in class. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful thought. :)
As for me, I totally agree with this quote by Dalai Lama:
"My religion is kindness."
I totally agree with that, and I enjoy and respect all activities, books, talks, or anything which spreads kindness.. =)
If you feel you really need to choose one religion, choose the one that suits you the most.. =)
Coz, actually all religions teach true love and kindness, if ones really understand and live by it. =)
me too! can discuss with me if you want too.. =)
Good luck my dear! =)
I get all of your messages, and what I'm actually thinking is this:
Wern Yi, I agree with you but I need strength to always hold onto those thoughts, if you get what I mean. There will be times when I doubt them, and that's when I'll need a power that is higher and far beyond our reach (quoted from Xin Ling) to support the faith in me.
And no, I do not discriminate one religion from another. It's just that I believe each religion has their own way of teaching? So, like what Devi said, I was trying to find one that suits me the most so that I can really understand and live by it. It's like reading a book of a foreign language, and I'm trying to find the version of translation that I'm most comfortable with. (what a metaphor :P)
So, what I'm planning now is to get more easy-to-understand religious books and read them :) haha. I may or may not end up choosing a religion, but I cant deny my interest in this field right now.
Love you all!